Friday, April 20, 2007

Life in a box : Funda Ek : Planning & Prioritization

Disclaimer : All characters in "Life in a box" are fictional. But any resemblance to actual places, incidents, situations, persons may be intentional :-).

"I hate my work", Vini said while throwing her purse at the sofa. "Such a bad day, i didn't get a chance to take a break for even 5 minutes today. I am telling you, they are killing us."

I smiled. Its fun to imagine the role reversal that has happened in our life. My new box is cool and Vini's really hectic. I come back everyday at five, make tea for both of us and relax in front of TV watching "Everybody loves Raymond" while she struggles to come back by seven and prepare dinner for us. Atleast that is the story since i left my old box... where we never stopped working for them.

"You know what happened today", She started her day's story by sipping the tea. This is the daily routine now and i love it. Three months of life apart was really horrible. Nobody to talk once at home and she wants to give me up to date news, everyday as soon as it happens.

"I am being swamped at work. My plate is always full. There is always so much to do and worst there is no shortage of new work. I hate it, how you used to manage da, I am sick of it. I think i will quit."

I smiled. I can sense a session of fundas by Aneeshji coming up. The very ones which have helped me live my life peacefully, at least to an extend, in my old box. But let me better be sure that she needs it before i start lecturing it on her. She after all is not just another men-tee, she is my wife. The difference i have learned the hard way. None of the other men-tee's shout back when i go overboard with my fundas.

"Today i was in three production issues. And i am given more work. If i go to my manager saying i am loaded, he will say plan and prioritize. All the work doesn't have to be done now itself. Arrey, after all i have to do all the work right? I am tired, you tell me how should i handle that. How should i say NO to work? I don't want to work like this. Will i get a job in your company, I also want to relax like you do."

Well, is she meaning i have no work? Grrrrrrrrrrr... In my words i have "less" work. How less, well, i don't need to tell you folks. We are not discussing about me remember. She is in for a session today, i don't think, i can avoid it today. Vini, this is your lucky (or unlucky!!!) day. I am gonna open the doors to one of the most important lessons to survive in the box, especially when there is no shortage of work. Funda Number Ek (one) : Planning & Prioritizing.

"Vini, relax di, the situation is nothing bad, what he told is right. You just need to plan and prioritize properly. You should be able to get control of the situation which you are in."

"Oh, you also criticize me. Its all my fault right. Not that people giving us work are wrong, its all our fault." I told you right, wife is different from a regular men-tee, i am yet to fully learn that. I get carried away all the time. But sorry dear, you are gonna get the full session, i have already started. May be a lighter language might help, my brain told me.

"No i am not saying that dear, look at me. When you go to your manager, forget him, suppose i am the lead, if you come to me saying you are loaded with work, you can't take up something i have assigned you, i will ask you one question. -- WHY? "

"I know, he does the same. I just can't take it up ok. Why i should be killed with work or what? Don't smile as if i don't know anything."

"Don't get emotional da, there is no need or use for that in our profession. If you know the question WHY will be asked, don't get upset. Just have the answer to it with you. Have the data to back up WHY you can't do. Very important to bring data to the table while discussing anything. Without data, its just argument. You provide the same arguments with DATA to back it, you can see how much more of an impact it has."

"But how can i show that i can't take this work. All the other work are in different phases. I can never prove i can or cannot do this work. It is not so simple as you say."

"Well, before we close ourself saying we cannot take this work, lets analyse for a moment what are the work you have and whether you can take this work or not."

"Anhaaaaaaaa, now u r going to convince me to do it, rather than supporting me."

Did i mention about the wife factor yet??? "Not like that dear, hear me first. Have you heard about Stephen R. Covey and his book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People."

"Nope". "In that book he describes a habit called Put First Things First. In that he describes a framework in concentrating on the long term important goals instead of doing things which appear to be urgent but are really less important. He explains it using a 2x2 matrix - using a cartesian co-ordinate system with urgent non-urgent in one axis and important non-important in another. Learn this dear, this is your holy bible for Time Management."
"QI - we don't have a choice. It has to be done. QII is the part i love. Here the tasks are not urgent yet, but they are slowing on the path to move to QI. Finishing them before reaching QI is the challenge and the trick. The success of our planning depends on it. QIII - not important not urgent. We shouldn't be doing this one unless 2 conditions - No other work :-) or you feel it is gonna be QIV pretty soon. QIV - the more no of tasks there ,the higher the level of failure in your planning. Never let a task migrate from QIII to QIV. Never be forced to do less important stuff just because it is urgent, when ideally you should spend that time focussing on long term important tasks in QII."

"This stuff looks interesting, but you didn't tell me how it will help in reducing my work. I need a magic for that. DATA as you say to back my decision to say NO."

"Patience my dear Vinikutty, Every day morning, you fill this matrix with your tasks. Ideally it should have more in QII and QIII and less in QI and QIV. Attack the tasks so that you will reach a position where your goals are long term. When every new work comes, religiously put it in this matrix. When you new task comes, you will be in a position to say, what impact it will have when you accept it. Whether it will cause some tasks to move from QII to QI or QIII to QIV or whether it will affect any QI or QIV tasks which would be deadly. That my lady love is the DATA you are looking for."

Finally i could see a small reflection of smile in her face. I could sense that she has suppressed her wife feelings to throw it at my face because she can and has accepted it as a good learning to implement it in her work.

I think this is the right time to say it, i have been waiting to say this from the time she came, let me say it before it is too late. "Honey, i am hungry :-) Can you make dinner now." Yeah fundas are over and husband aneesh is back. I watch her with a smile as she rolls her eyes in "oh my god, this guy!!!!!" expression and walks to the kitchen. I switched on the TV and Sanjaya Malakar was singing his guts out. Back to the normal life, outside the box........!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Aneeshji / അനീഷ്ജി said...

Fundas... I have been going around giving my fundas to who ever is willing to listen... Tried to write some down, but turned out to be very boring... So another attempt to make it a little bit light using "Life in a box" sketch.

Be sure to pop in the comments on the fundas as well as the writing style :-)

manju said...

You sounded like a typical hubby...Guess all hubbies in the world luv throwing "fundaes" at their wives :).. Not saying it doesnt help !! It DOES big time ...but then you know what, most of the times, its sooo much easier said than done :)..I'm sure Vini would be thinking the same in her head :D....

Now about the blog..Writing style is wonderful..its almost like being there seeing all this in real ! keep up the good job :)

manju

Tedy Kanjirathinkal said...

ho!! eniykku vayya :-) Adipoli, da!!! oru rakshayumilla.

Why don't you plan for a QII item, of collating all the ideas which have come, and are yet to come, and release a book..? :-)

You know, the style can be similar, like say, esop's fables etc :-) A short story each, giving a funda :-)

PS: Pssssh... change 'Joji' to his "original" name when u do that ;-)

Anonymous said...

veendum chila veettukaryangal:adhyayam onnu :Planning & Prioritization

Life after...? :p

Aneeshji / അനീഷ്ജി said...

Tedka ;-) changed the character names in the old story also.. at least the main ones..

ppl who visualized these ideas have written better books :-) but why not, lets have a Q2 plan for that :-)

Alco... why i mentioned it as a fictional story ;-) u can imagine the life after this session wont b - me watching TV :-))

Anonymous said...

Nice!
Well upto the last para!